Friday, January 1, 2010

Let's do this!

Meal planning: done
Pantry: purged
Shopping: done
Fridge: cleaned out and organized
Temptations: eliminated (barring Olive's potty treats)
Regrets: none
Morale: we are so pumped!

The question I keep asking myself is: "What took us so long to make the change?" It got me thinking about other areas of my life that lack purpose and intention. It is so easy to go with the flow and respond rather than initiate (I'll stop there because a I feel a sermon coming on).

I have to tell you about an excellent resource that Judie Busch (the wife of Greg Busch, a stud elder at GBC) passed on to Kelsey; the book is titled, "Good Food, Great Medicine." It was written by a doctor from Portland. Kelsey loves it. Another good resource, Kelsey Willard. She is the queen of granola. Oh, and one more, The Nourishing Gourmet. We like their site so much that we've added it to our favorites list.

Here is a quick update on our food cost. Keep in mind our goal is to stay under $350 each month for all food and household items. But we recognize that we may spend more the first month.
  • $62 for everything at Winco, shout out to their Bob's Red Mill bulk section!
  • $10 at Great Harvest
  • $92 at Costco
  • $89 at Trader Joe's
  • $36 at New Seasons
We should be solid for the next 2 1/2 -3 weeks.

Tonight we're having: whole roasted chicken, grilled asparagus, and french potato salad. Bon appetit.

3 comments:

  1. I love that book, got it from Judie last year. Good luck guys, I'm excited to hear how it goes!

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever want something from Bob's Red Mill store (headquarters is in Milwaukie - prices are excellent) just let me know. We pass it every day as we take Katherine to school. I did half my Christmas shopping there - I'm hooked on their organic scottish oatmeal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you guys!!! Keep up the good work:) You are just starting to open up a whole new and wonderful world of nutrition and wellness! Every day holds a new experience and more to learn:) I'm always so excited to find more friends who walk this journey too! May god bless you in this commitment!

    1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which you have from God? And you are not your own, for you were bought with a price: glorify God therefore in your body.

    ReplyDelete