Monday, January 11, 2010

A Fantastic Week of Food; mostly

The best shrimp pasta I've ever had. It was a combination of whole wheat pasta, garlic, lemon juice and zest, white wine, tomato, basil, chili pepper, and olive oil. It was fantastic.

Something new and different, yet very delicious. Scalloped corn. If you like baked mac & cheese, you'll love this. I know it may not sound like an adequate substitute for a comfort food, but it hit the spot. It's like a corn, egg, cheese, red pepper, and chili pepper bake. I highly recommend this one.

So Kelsey is a master grocery shopper. She snagged this wild salmon for $3.99 per lb at Albertson's. It was pan seared, 5-7 minutes on each side (America's Test Kitchen recipe). I had the leftovers for lunch today. Very good.


So this may not look appetizing, but it is one of my favorites. Just chicken with squash, carrots, tomatoes, and lots of pesto. I could eat this every week.



We promised to be transparent... Kelsey attempted a fish stew/soup thingy. You know how some foods don't look good but taste fantastic? Well, this one tasted as bad as it looked. I am purely going by Kelsey's assessment. I never got a chance to taste it. But the smell lingered. We both like fish, but I don't think fish soup is our thing. Something about fish swimming in its own juices is repulsive.


Do not try this at home. The recipe is called "sweet potato cookies." I got my hopes up when Kelsey told me that she was making cookies. First, what a cruel, cruel thing to do to a guy who has just given up sugar and is searching for a sweet treat that fits into the eating plan. Anyway, these aren't cookies and they did not taste sweet. They are basically: sliced, seasoned, and baked yams. Proceed with caution.


I saved perhaps the best for last. If you attend Gresham Bible Church, then these delightful muffins graced the snack on Sunday. Wonderful! Made with spelt flour and sweetened with pure maple syrup and raw honey. I found a sweet treat. Once again, "Great Food, Good Medicine" has been a great resource.
The eating plan is going exceptionally well. We feel great, we're eating some delicious food, and we are losing weight. Kelsey's planning, shopping, and cooking are the key.






1 comment: