Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Slow cooker Chicken Chili

So tonight for the first time I am trying to cook dried beans in the crock pot. So many canned beans have tons of salt or even sugar in the ingredients, and I'm too cheap to buy organic canned beans, so we bought some in bulk and are trying this sucker out. I'm making chicken chili tomorrow, so tonight I've got my black and white beans in the pot (fitting for Verge and I don't you think? Maybe they'll come out the color of our children :) I've also got my third loaf of bread in two days going. I think my yeast is bad (winco bulk yeast), the last two have been solid little rocks, so I've doubled the yeast.. 5 tsp for one loaf. So in the morning i could still have a little hard ball of dough. or a light and fluffy over sized loaf that tastes very 'yeasty.' I'll let you know tomorrow how both turn out! Verge has his alarm set for six, I'll see if I can get him out of bed when it goes off! (It's usually much easier to get him up if I've been up a few times with Lincoln, I just have to remember to do it lovingly, I'll let you know how that part goes too!)

1 comment:

  1. I think Jon's absolute favorite food in the whole world is beans. So weird. :) Anyway, I put about 2 cups of pinto (or whatever kind) of beans in the crock pot with a couple tbsps of lemon juice (supposed to help get the nutrients out) and cover them with warm water to soak overnight. Then, I rinse them, cover them with more water, and turn them on in the morning. Usually on high. I add garlic (3-4 cloves crushed) and salt (to taste). At dinner time, he LOVES them in burritos with Mexican rice. I like them in Taco salad.

    Just thought you could use another idea for your bulk beans! I have SOOOO many bulk beans!!

    ReplyDelete